I started speaking about Job Stress, Burnout, and Self-care about 9 years ago and today it is still the most popular presentation I give to all types of workplaces. I update it, change it and revise as new information becomes available but the message is tried and true: stress brings you down, burnout is real and self-care is a necessity not a luxury.
Everyone is included in this from janitor to CEO.
Everyone is responsible for their happiness, for the energy they bring to the workplace and for their dedication to self-care.
Let me tell you a secret that our society doesn’t understand. Stress is not normal. That ‘hurry-so-busy-jam-packed-schedule’ is not good for you.
If you are showing signs of stress (headaches, fatigue, insomnia, irritability, etc.), your physical health is out of balance and you are causing damage to your body and mind.
In my Job Stress, Burnout and Self-care workshop, we talk about the negative impact of job stress on all areas of your life.
But most importantly, I provide you with logical, easy to understand tips and techniques to help you combat the destructive force of stress and gently guide you (okay, well, if you’ve seen me in person…maybe more like actively encourage you) to pursue your self-care in a sustainable maintainable way.
What could I possibly mean by that? Here are the top rules for developing a self-care plan:
- Don’t follow the crowd in your self-care regimen. Instead find your own way to manage your stress – your stress reactions are unique to you so make your self-care plan personal as well.
- Develop a self-care plan you will enjoy and actually do year-round. Karaoke to 80s one-hit wonders really relaxes you? Go for it. Walking lowers your blood pressure? Add in where you’ll go when it’s too cold to hit the neighborhood bike trail.
- Add in people who add joy, not steal it.
- Know your warning signs and be ready to put the action plan in motion.
There is so much out there to help us improve the quality of our lives yet so many people feel so unfulfilled and stressed out. It’s time to get back to the REAL normal – a stress-free, joyful life where you feel good, enjoy going to work every day and coming home at night!
Interested in learning more about job stress, how you can prevent the dangerous effects of burnout and get that active encouragement to set up your self-care plan? There are 2 options!
- I can come to your workplace and offer my Job Stress, Burnout and Self-care workshop to your staff. Email me and let’s set up a time to chat.
- You can start your self-care plan right away by accessing this same workshop online (special rate of $20) relaxing on your sofa in your pjs. It’s designed for anyone (social workers and mental health workers can earn CEUs) to help you prevent burnout and develop better self-care. Click here to sign up now. (And email me if you’d like to offer this version to your staff.)